Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Seriously? Seriously.

Dating A Banker Anonymous

In one word....
Horrifying.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'd love to live a mildly extravagant life. I like nice clothes, good food, luxurious settings. But I also like to think I like people for who they are, not what they're worth. I'm also obnoxiously independent--the thought of relying on someone else's net worth for my enjoyment out of life is petrifying. If I'm going to live in a fancy world, I'd better be able to handle it on my own dime: reliance on other people is not my thing.

As the daughter of a luxury goods retailer, I know how this economy works people's emotions and stress levels. Nobody in any business likes coming home in a bad mood because they can't pay the office bills, or because they lost a huge account or millions of dollars for a client. Last thing someone in bad work straits wants? A person they thought loved them, not their wallet, freaking out over fewer vacations in Maui or no Fendi bag for their birthday.

I know to some, this economy feels like a bad joke that will eventually play out and go away. I personally haven't felt it like others have, but I've witnessed some of the problems second-hand. DABA girls: go back to sleep, and wake up on a different side of the bed (an empty bed, most likely, since your financier boyfriends should leave you in the dust for your poor behavior). Go out and work hard at your own job, buy your own drinks for once, and text your ex something encouraging to get him through the next bad day. You better hope he forgives you. You should hope he'll buy you a pity drink when you lose your job in fashion PR or spa services, and have gone through a few more finance guys on hard times willing to put up with your crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment