Monday, February 2, 2009

Cover Letters = On Their Way Out

When (not if) I am in charge of a company or business, I will never ask for cover letters. Resumes, ok, maybe. Just so I can justify hires to other, less creative folk. However. Some other item submission will be substituted. Options thus far include:
  • papier mache
  • haikus
  • wire sculpture
  • colorful acrostic poems
  • collages (please let all glue dry before sending in)
  • videos
  • short story
  • cartoon
  • song
  • dance
  • mural
  • torn-out notebook page with impressive doodles.
Cover letters are all hot air. I'd rather submit a Post-it Note flipbook cartoon. I'd hire me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I hate cover letters. It's why I gave up on finding jobs and applying. I updated my resume but when I got to the point of having to write cover letters, I decided I didn't want to get a job that bad yet. It's terrible. Maybe that's why they do it so that people like me don't apply for jobs we don't want THAT much. Although I would probably submit a collage. I wouldn't do a video. That's been a requirement on a few jobs I've wanted but I wouldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete