Saturday, January 31, 2009

Big Fish, Shrinking Pond?

Either the world's shrinking or we're getting bigger. Maybe both.

My roommate from freshman year, Bonnie, and I are apartment-hunting for post-grad. Our primary area for a place is Coolidge Corner. We both remember thinking how far away Mission Hill was from our freshman dorm 5 years ago, and now it seems like a quick walk. Coolidge Corner is sort of the same phenomenon. We still have lots of friends who see it as distant from our Back Bay/Fenway area, but since it was so clear/fairly warm today, we walked home down Longwood. The walk took less than half an hour.

Coolidge Corner, the Harvard Ave/Allston area, Brookline Village---all much closer than we realize, especially when walking or bussing. Taking the Green line inbound to go outbound, or walking to Hynes, makes the distances seem irrationally long. We all have a tendency to get caged in by the weather, but over the past few years in warm seasons here, it's interesting to find out how small and dense a city we live in. None of the distances are great, you can walk home from Harvard Square or the North End if you're feeling ambitious, and there's lots of great neighborhoods dotting the city. With the advent of GoogleMaps and IPhones, etc, there's no excuse not to wander and find all the great new places in your area, whether

It's not just a small physical world though. I stopped in at a friend's apartment the other night, and spotted a vaguely familiar face. Turns out it's a kid who was in a class I had dropped. We start talking, and I figure out another way I knew of him: another friend had suggested I get in touch with him last semester to work on a Model UN-related project. We exchanged contact info, and are planning to coordinate. Lots of my networks overlap, I run into people I know in odd places all over the city, and I'm hoping the networking pays off as the job search continues.

6 degrees of separation? It's been more like 1.5 lately. Maybe we just know all the right people, so they all know each other.

I like that my world is expanding, physically and personally, especially as I'm getting ready to graduate. I'm poised to get out of the college bubble and see the city and my network and my goals in an alternate light. I'm not content to stay in the same neighborhood. I'm loving meeting new people left and right. I'm starting to find job opportunities that speak to me. I'm figuring out how to present myself as the best person for the job. I don't want to leave my smaller world behind--I want to put it in my pocket and take it with me.

1 comment:

  1. Coolidge Corner is great - Conor lives there, so I spend a lot of time exploring the neighborhood. Couple of warnings though: it's not cheap. The rent, the amenities, parking, none of it. And if you think Boston has some draconian and arbitrary laws, just wait until Brookline gets you. (No overnight parking on ANY street.)

    That said, you have great access to just about anything you'd need, including little boutique shops up and down Harvard Ave., indie things like the theatre, etc.

    ReplyDelete