Friday, January 30, 2009

On My Own

Although I get labeled a connector, a social butterfly, what have you, I actually lose my mind if I don't get enough alone time. And I don't mean alone doing homework time.

Today, I left my apartment, no laptop, no plans to meet up with anyone. I snagged a window table at Trident Bookstore on Newbury, and had a delicious quiet lunch with myself and my book. Proscuitto, melted brie, baby greens, and walnut pesto, with a side of sweet potato fries (and a cup of coffee. I'm a nicer person after a cup of coffee). I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love right now, and I read the segment where the author is in India studying meditation--felt pretty appropriate. I read and tuned out the conversation around me except for a general buzz and my cute waiter.

I spent another few hours wandering up and down Newbury and Boylston--going in any shop that caught my fancy, trying on (and only rarely buying) lots of things, peeking into stores for 1 minute or an hour. I didn't even put on my headphones, and didn't spend any time on the phone. It was clear, and warm enough to not button my coat, and puddles have shrunk enough to be avoidable. I didn't even really think about my major stressors right now (job, apartment, impending doom of graduation). I'm not sure I thought about much of anything. Me time.

I love running errands by myself, and as much as I usually end up at a table with a rotating cast at Espresso Royale, I'm fairly content to sit by myself for hours. I can do work or not, people watch, think, stare. It's a crucial part of my life to have alone time. I've gone to movies and shows by myself on occasion, grabbed dinner or a quick drink, love traveling by myself, have to see certain museum exhibits on my own, and shopping for a purpose is usually best done on my own. Not to say I don't often prefer other company, but I'm learning to enjoy my own too.

What do YOU do by yourself? Anything in particular you will or won't do?

1 comment:

  1. I often turn my phone off when I go to sleep. It is liberating.

    One day I'm gonna go for a walk in the woods with no phone again. Just to remember what its like to be truly alone.

    ReplyDelete