Monday, January 26, 2009

MBTA, Up the Ante, Please.

Topic of current (okay, constant) obsession: public transportation. Much more to come on this.

This is a week or two old off of Gizmodo, but still interesting: GoogleMaps adds Transit Layer



I wish Boston was on the list of cities they were doing the transit map for.[Sidenote: Warsaw, but not Boston? And not New York??] Especially if it would map the bus routes. I'm slowly but surely learning how to use certain bus lines to get places that aren't T accessible, but I'm still not very good at it. If I easily could see on a map where a bus would be able to drop me, I think I would be more adventurous about it.

Also: the MBTA needs to take a hint from NYC. If it doesn't run past last call at bars, it's not serving its true purpose. The cab companies would probably throw a tantrum, but the significant college/young professional/bar-going population in the city would potentially jump on the public transportation bandwagon, and maybe even be more loyal day-time customers. I realize the budget issues plaguing the MBTA, and recognize that expansion of services, when there's a slew of other tasks at hand, doesn't seem like the logical answer. However, increasing the connection the local population has to the service could potentially boost overall ridership and popularity, and bring the MBTA the city support it needs.

Other details the MBTA should look into include notification systems alerting you to the wait for the next train, a la London and DC, phone service in the underground stops so you can let the poor people waiting for you know you're STILL waiting for an E train, and stand-alone public bathrooms like the ones popping up all over major cities. Interesting: searching for MBTA on Twitter, yields a Twitter account, encouraging people to join the movement for an extension of the Green Line to Somerville. Social Media + Transportation seems like a natural, swift duo to me.
One more note: I miss London Black Cabs. If one more Boston cab asks ME how to get to the address I provide to him, instead of, oh I dont know, calling his dispatcher, using a GPS, or maybe even knowing the layout of the city, I will scream. I will remain in his cab because it will be cold, but I will not be tipping that person.

2 comments:

  1. It's not as handy as Google maps, but there are actual physical maps (GASP!) of the city that have the entire bus/MBTA system overlaid on them. Just FYI. I keep one posted on my door at home for reference.

    Also, I've seen my dad explain how to get somewhere then give a delivery kid his atlas book for an area (super super detailed map book) so that they wouldn't get lost. A perk of living in Back Bay was that cabs always knew how to get where I lived. Now it's like, over the river & through the woods....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Google maps does have the transit feature in NYC, at least for BlackBerry - super useful last time I was there, to be able to enter start and end points, and find MTA information in directions.

    ReplyDelete