Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I like learning. No matter how much I can complain about being busy and having a lot of homework, I think I like the chance to be exposed to a lot of things and a lot of people and (un)consciously soaking up as much information and as many ideas as humanly possible. The opportunity to pick up bits and pieces from a variety of arenas has been invaluable.

I may have written about this before, but all my classes interconnect in a way they haven't in any other semester.

  • Non-Profit Program Design and Fundraising
  • Political Communication (NOT about the elections, strangely)
  • Public Policy and Administration (taught by Michael Dukakis)
  • Capstone (this is the only one that doesn't fit in)
Non-Profit helps me understand how to better plan, ponder, and structure most things in my life. PolComm brings public policy on disabilities (the focus of our project) in with the design aspects of non-profit work. Public Policy addresses many issues in the election season, and informs what can be altered through PolComm, as well as what is taken care of through non-profits. I TA for a class on Model United Nations and run the club connected to it, and I'm learning myriad amounts about management, leadership, education, public speaking, and international issues and negotiations.

Having friends in most majors, and friends who are interested in subjects from beer to biomedical engineering makes learning about things outside of my own sphere surprisingly easy. In a single group setting, I can talk about quantum physics, rock climbing, what prescriptions you can drink beer with, atonal music, and how twitter is being used with mainstream media. I have friends who are: Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, NRA members, religious zealots, atheists, dirty hippies, capitalists, money grubbers, minimalists, shopaholics, vegetarians, carnivores, actively ambitious, too smart to be anything but successful, humble, proud, loud, and quiet.

If you pay enough attention to those around you, you can learn so much.

1 comment:

  1. i am proud to be one of your carnivores. i just never would've thought to use that adjective for myself. i'm going to start.

    ReplyDelete