Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cities: Always keeping me guessing.

Today's "new place": a soul food spot in the basement of a bookstore. Jway Cafe is down a flight of stairs from Jamaicaway Books, and today, with my pulled pork sandwich, I even got to hear part of a lecture on the Harlem art renaissance. This was not part of the initial plan, but hey, I'll take a bonus! The lecture was given by the woman who served me my sandwich, and was on an old-school slide projector! Totally not what I was expecting, but was both delicious and educational--go figure. I'd go back for sure....and maybe try the sweet potato pie. We obviously also went to Gadgets (of the kitchen sort) and Boing (fantastic toy store). I don't think bouncy balls and weird kitchen utensils will ever lose their appeal to me. I obviously bought random little things at both places--planning on wheat muffins in my nice cheap muffin cups and hours of cubicle fun from the Bucky Balls I'd been dyingggg to buy for ages.

I love that the city has little unexpected things for me, even after 5 and a half years of living here. I always think I have a good handle on it, but then I find new places, meet new people, realize how many jobs and projects are out there that I've never even considered. Boston also continues to be the biggest small world ever for me. Running into NU people, friends of friends, old coworkers--sometimes I like it, sometimes it makes me want to run away, but at least friendly faces are always nice? I don't think I'll be in Boston much longer than 2011 before peacing out (where? Stay tuned, I'm starting to come up with ideas...) but at least I'm never bored here.

On a less people-note--with our apartment's fit kick (Sarah's kicking my ass, but I have biceps now!!) also comes a renewed obsession with walking everywhere. Even when it's raining or snowing. I love somehow always spotting new things on walks I've done a thousand times--tiny colorful houses, signage, storefronts. Great thing I noticed spraypainted on the Harvard St. sidewalk today: the 35' safety boundaries surrounding the space that will soon be a women's health clinic down the street from me. Walking, as opposed to public transportation or the passenger seat of Sarah's car, lets me pet puppies, find out the name of adorable babies, and take detours that the 39 or 66 won't really be in the mood for--and the busses don't drive around Jamaica Pond! Counting down til summer when walks will be accompanied by flipflops, sunglasses, and a towel and book for spontaneous sunning...

New York City in two weeks!
San Francisco in 6 weeks!
Warm weather...can't come soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Yay -- NYC here we come
    can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete