Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I am consistently amazed, impressed, inspired by the strength, insight, and compassion of the people I'm lucky enough to surround myself with. The sheer tenacity and aplomb with which they handle stress, tragedy, confrontation, disappointment, challenges, uncertainty, and each other keep me going and remind what I have to live up to. If one measure of a person's success is the company they keep, then I win.

Their toolbox for life includes the following, and more:

laughter, analysis, overanalysis, hugs, snuggling, late night phonecalls, unexpected mail, patience for inanity, calm, tolerance of views that directly contradict their own, the ability to see the bigger picture, love for those they disagree with, and an unconditionality of support and respect and being-there-ness that trumps distance, conflicts, and all the weird stumbling blocks of life.

Vague, yes. But more a side note to myself that I so value the people around me and what they make my life. And a reminder to keep that mentality in the back of my mind even when things seem rough, and to make sure the people that make daily existence possible know how much they mean.

Daily dose of schmaltz over. Daily dose of Yiddish word provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment