Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I'm Ready, I Am (?)

oh hello suitcases...

i leave for the boston pitstop on the way to london tomorrow. and im attempting to actually pack, after a month at home where you might think I would've gotten myself organized. Wrongggg. I did unpack (most of) my boxes when I got home, but my room is still a disaster. Things are hanging and piled everywhere, and I'm wishing I wasn't so materialistic. Too much stuff to try to narrow down into two 50 pound bags.

I went to Florida this weekend to see my grandma for her 91st birthday with my family! We don't get down there as often as I'd like, and especially when I'll be lacking normal phone contact for a few months, I'm glad I spent some time with her. My family has been really busy while I've been home too, so a chance for everyone to not be at work/in school was great right before I leave.

Packing is my nemesis--I flip out during the process, then once I get to the place I packed for, I realize I'm grossly overpacked and probably could have chilled out just a little. I'm trying to be rational about this trip, plan for leisure and travel and work and going out and all of it, without packing my suitcases too full to bring home new UK clothes and trinkets. I did pretty well packing for a month in Geneva with only one suitcase, so hopefully my talent continues!

I'm loving reading everyone else's study abroad blogs compulsively and it's making me even more excited to be in London. Adrienne is in Brussels, Laura's taking a break from pharmacy in Belfast, Jess is in scenic Perugia, Dave is already in London (where he'll only be .5 miles away from me!!), Grace and Cait left for Greece today, Troy is in Paris, and I'm sure I'm forgetting people. Ryan also lives about 30 minutes outside of London, and it'll be cool to see his campus. A guy I'd met a few years ago randomly got in touch, and he lives in Madrid! Knowing there are friends in other cities is comforting, and I'm hoping to have lots of weekend trips to meet up with them and see more of the continent.

I have a love/hate relationship with change, so packing up is always hard for me. I adore my family and my life in Boston is fantastic, and that makes it hard to want to leave either of them for something else new and different. I had the same problem when I moved to Boston for school--but look how well that turned out. Going to Geneva this summer was like a test run for leaving for a while. I was in Geneva for a month, and London will be 3--doesn't seem so long when I think about it that way, and I bet I'll be so sorry to leave at the end. Also, now that I'm considering Peace Corps after I graduate, I need to get used to change!

Two days in Boston will be great in between Pittsburgh and London--I need a dose of Beantown and its lovely residents before I flee the country. I am in need of a change, some things at school had gotten a little stagnant, and nothing mixes things up like new experiences and a little break. Keeping in touch has never been a problem for me either, so things will be mostly the same when I get back in January.

Now that I've taken yet another procrastination break from packing....next time, I'll post from Boston!

No comments:

Post a Comment